Liberty in Focus on 7th Independent Living Day
This year’s European Independent Living Day is a day like no other More...
PA service contiues
Despite the state of emergency PA service More...
New EU COVID-19 response brings no guarantees for social services
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis More...
Living Independently during COVID-19 Pandemic: Spain
ENIL - Spain is among the countries most affected by the corona virus (COVID-19) More...
EU invisible on social emergency of COVID-19
Day-to-day developments across Europe show that More...
COMMEMORATING THE INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR THE ELIMINATION OF VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
AGAINST THE FORCED STERILISATION OF GIRLS AND WOMEN WITH DISABILITIES
25th November 2009
Today, 25th November, International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, the European Disability Forum (EDF) joins the struggle against all forms of gender violence, to which thousands of women in the European Union and worldwide fall victim. In light of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Article 12, Equal recognition before the law, Article 16, Freedom from exploitation, violence and abuse, Article 17, Protecting the integrity of the person, and Article 23, Respect for home and the family), EDF recognises that forced sterilisation is a form of violence that violates the rights of person with disabilities to form a family, decide on the number of children they wish to have, gain access to information on family planning and reproduction, and retain their fertility on an equal basis with others.
In light of the above, EDF declares:
- In several countries in Europe there is clear evidence that forced sterilisation continues to be carried out on many persons with disabilities, above all on girls and women with intellectual or psychosocial disabilities and without their consent or their understanding the specific purpose of the medical operation, under the pretext of the wellbeing of the person with disabilities.
- For many girls and women with disabilities this experience, to which they are forced against their will, intimidated and pressured, is a denial of their right to access appropriate services. Their fundamental human rights, including the right to safeguard body integrity and maintain control over their reproductive health, are violated and removed, at times without their realising.
- The consent of the parents or person that represent a girl or woman with a disability, when requested because of her minor age or previous legal incapacitation, must in all cases be based on the respect of the human rights and will of the women or girl with a disability. It is also the responsibility of the relevant medical personnel to ensure that the woman or girl with a disability is adequately informed about the fact that the surgery or medical intervention will lead to her being sterilised and the consequences of this for her future.
- Women and girls with disabilities have the same right to maternity as other women. Adequate services are the solution for ensuring that women in need of support can enjoy this right fully.
- All public powers to revise the legal framework regulating forced sterilisation, addressing the issues of “informed consent” and “legal capacity” in order to make the necessary accommodations and fulfil the spirit of, and obligations under, the Convention, which requires signatories to introduce legal reforms acknowledging that respect for the home and family and the dignity and integrity of persons with disabilities are fundamental rights which may not be violated.
- Studies to be undertaken to bring to light the reality of sterilisation in Europe in the case of persons with disabilities, such studies to include the perspectives of gender, age and type of disability and offer accurate statistical data on forced and therapeutic sterilisation.
- Necessary measures to be taken in terms of awareness, information and training aimed at both the families of girls and women with disabilities who are most vulnerable and at greatest risk of suffering forced sterilisation, and professionals, above all health care professionals and those involved in the legal field, to ensure they listen to the voices of girls and women with disabilities during legal investigations and proceedings. These measures shall be taken in close co-operation with representative organisations of persons with disabilities.
- Appropriate schemes must be developed with the objective to ensuring both that pregnant women and girls with disabilities get support in preparing for maternity and that mothers with disabilities in need of support to take care of their children have access to adequate assistance and services.
My Daughter is Leaving Home: Reflections on Living Independently
A PLACE FOR US
MIDWAT - phase II
II MODULE - QUALITY STANDARDS IN SERVICE PROVIDING
New ENIL EC member from Serbia
Center for Independent Living Serbia OSI at the Serbia-EU Forum
FREEDOM DRIVE 2011
STUDY VISIT TO SLOVENIA
Step by step to the project
International Day of Persons with Disabilities, 3 December 2011
The right for work for PWDs
Development of Nis municipalities
A Place for Us
"The steps on the path of development" project
DISABLED TO KEEP FIGHTING FOR BETTER EU AIR SERVICES
Capacity building of CSOs for social services
Study visit to Budapest
CIL Serbia celebrated 15 years of work
Second seminar in Mataruska banja
Disability Convention Receives 100th Ratification
Workers With Disabilities: An Untapped Resource
A PLACE FOR US
Law for social protection
TRIBUNE “EDUCATION FOR ALL”
PLACE FOR US
Kampaign for Inclusive Education
EU RATIFIED CRPD
Good finish of 2010
THE BEST POSSIBLE NEW YEAR WISH COME TRUE
Advocacy for PA service in Novi Beograd
Comissioner for equality protection
International Day of Persons with Disability
Public transport in Belgrade
REGIONAL ROUND TABLE DEBATE
The Invisibles: disabled people in Britain
Organisations of Civil Society as service providers in social protection area
Mexico in Debt to the Disabled
Fourth workshop on CRPD
SERBIAN CANDIDATE IN UN COMMITTEE
Virtual Career and Education Day expands regionally!
Center for employment of persons with disability
LEGAL HELP TO FAMILIES OF CHILDREN WITH DISABILITY
New initiative in Bor
Promotion of project „Support to independent living of persons with disability in Serbia”
Special Advisor for International Disability Rights
Third workshop on monitoring and implementation CRPD in Serbia
Second workshop on monitoring and implementation CRPD in Serbia
Educating Students with Disabilities: Some Say It's Not Worth It
Workshop on monitoring and implementation CRPD in Serbia
INFORMATION BULLETIN - European Court of Human Rights upholds the right to vote of persons with disabilities
European Call for Protest: Inclusion - "Being there from the start"! 05 May, 2010
European Day of Solidarity between Generations, 29 April 2010 - ENIL
Rights and reality: disabled people’s experiences of accessing goods and services
ENIL calls for an end to Death by Social Indifference
Four more countries ratify CRPD
Disability Awareness in Action Newsletter
SEMINAR IN NIKSIC, MONTENEGRO
CIL in Belgrade too
We have our lives back
JOBS FOR ALL
MD persons continue hunger strike
Call for 140 financial support for 140 students with disability
Council of Europe calls for deinstitutionalisation of children with disabilities
NOTHING ABOUT US WITHOUT US: THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT DRIVES FORWARD DISABILITY RIGHTS
“Incredible stories of invisible lives” exhibition in Uzice
Draft of Law on Social Protection
30 years United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
Opening Conference of the European Year for Combating Poverty and Social Exclusion,
The sky's the limit for disabled athletes in Serbia
CRPD Ratifications reach 76
Round table "Development the advocacy capacities of organisations of persons with disability in Serbia"
With Parthership Towards Development
FREE OUR PEOPLE NOW!
COMMEMORATING THE INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR THE ELIMINATION OF VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
Center for Disease Control and Prevention, USA
Persons with disability in politic life everywhere
ENIL has 777 members in Facebook
Disability and policy
„Love and Kindness“ Fund
Women with disability
„A Midnight Summer Dream“
Court Cases filed in the Name of Persons with Disability
Freedom Drive 2009 - Demands
INFORMATION FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ABOUT H1N1 VIRUS
My world has changed – two stories in one
European Citizen Award
Not just a pretty Facebook
First deaf Member of Parliament is sworn in
Letter to Prime Minister Cvetkovic
PA Service in Leskovac too
International Day of Persons with Disabilities - 3 December 2009
New TV broadcast
Malta: MOTE - My Opinion My Vote
Access to persons with disability
„CLOSER TOGETHER“ PROJECT
SERBIA RATIFIED UN CONVENTION
Court case dealing with UN COnvention in Germany
WHY SHOULD EUROPE INCREASE THE MATERNITY LEAVE?
Learning disability genes found
Poland: Disabled People Excluded from EU Elections
International Autism Day
Coucil for persons with disability
My right to be healthy
International Day of Rare Diseases
PERSONAL ASSISTANCE BILLS
Disability Equality: Promoting Positive Attitudes
SERVICE IN JAGODINA
White House launched a new website today and disability issues are highlighted under the Agenda heading
Conference on Cooperation for Improvement of Disability Policy in Serbia
Workshhop on CRPD
First Committee of Experts on Disability Rights Convention Elected
GREAT SUPPORT TO ANTONIJEVIC FAMILY
Parking for everyone
Electoral rights for PWDs in Albania
The ways of integration
Finding a College That Suits Students “With Special Needs”
Another silver medal for Serbia
The Annual march for Disabled Visibility in Madrid
Good Practise/Bad Practice
UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
Free our People!
All... but not retard.
European Day of Disabled People 2008
Parents' fury at 'Down's Syndrome dolls'
Eurobarometer on discrimination
Less sex, less fun
Coming Soon, a Braille Silver Dollar
Roads to integration
Disability proves no barrier to Olympic inclusion
Media and Disability
Media and disability
Are there any changes in preparations for Paraolympics?
U.N Issues Stamps to Commemorate Disability Treaty
Beijing 'sorry' for offending disabled
Government unveils new package for disabled children
China Sets Gold Standard in Offending Disabled
Way to Independence
Wishes could come true
Seminar on reforms of social protection system
National Conference on Gender Equality
Mobility International Seeks Young Adults
Wal-Mart settles with applicant with disability [USA]
First Contestant with a Disability to Compete for Miss USA Title
INFO - CENTER
INACCESSIBILITY IS DISCRIMINATION!
UN Convention on PWDs rights
Conference on National strategy for Youth
Bits and pieces from Slovenija
Meeting with Bozidar Djelic
Focus group “Social services for PWDs“
SHARE SEE Grantee Training